11/24/10

5/3/1 Reloaded

There was a recent article on T-Nation where Jim talked about modifying 5/3/1 towards specific goals. He has made a few changes to a Power focused lifter and I am including that here for later use.

Modification #1: I'm a competitive powerlifter. How do I tweak this for my goals?
"I have a whole book on this coming out called 5/3/1 for Powerlifting," says Wendler. "The biggest modification pertains to switching around the weeks and adding some heavy singles.

In the original 5/3/1 Manual, the weeks look like this:

Week 1: 3 x 5 reps
Week 2: 3 x 3 reps
Week 3: 3 x 5, 3, and 1 rep
Week 4: Deload

In 5/3/1 for Powerlifting, I switched week 1 and week 2 around and added a few singles, so it basically looks like this:

Week 1: 3 x 3, plus a few singles
Week 2: 3 x 5 only perform requisite reps
Week 3: 3 x 5,3,1, plus a few singles
Week 4: Deload

This system is superior for powerlifting as it includes the necessary heavy singles, yet by switching the weeks around and only performing requisite reps in week two, you never train heavy two weeks in a row.
Thus, it allows for more overall recovery."

No comments:

Post a Comment